Sunday, May 19, 2013

Drive


Pink uses an applicable analogy, comparing motivation to different generations of software.  He refers to the early primal instincts of man (food, shelter, reproduction) as Motivation 1.0.  Over time, humanity switched to Motivation 2.0 also known as the carrot and the stick (If/then) rewards system.  However, according to Pink and the research studies he lifts up, Motivation 2.0 is no longer effective.  While he contends that Motivation 2.0 may work in some instances (lower cognitive taks), it suggest "you'll increase your chances of success by supplementing...with three important practices."  


"Offer a rationale for why the task is necessary."
"Acknowledge that the task is boring."
 "Allow people to complete the task in their own way."

Pink states that it is time to shift to Motivation 3.0--intrinsic motivation.  He points out that people prefer activities that focus on opportunities for autonomy, mastery, and purpose.  

As I read this book, I reflected on many of the practices commonplace in schools today--reading challenges with a prize attached, perfect attendance in tutoring to be entered in a drawing for top dollar incentives, ice cream parties for memorizing multiplication facts, honor roll certificates, the list goes on--I wondered about the negative impact these have on learning.  I was reminded of Punished By Rewards by Alfie Kohn written more than twelve years ago and wondered why we have not come further in sifting to Motivation 3.0.  






This book is part of my Book a Month Challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment