We started by looking at two different articles/posts about technology in the classroom.
Teaching 2.0: Is Tech In The Classroom Worth The Cost?
and
By the Numbers: Teachers, Tech, and the Digital Divide
Both were very interesting, but we had already read very similar things this year so I found myself falling into ritual compliance. I was nodding in right places and making those noises you do when you are only half listening. (True confessions.) However, when the conversation shifted to the tools, I was hooked. The one I found most interesting is shown below.
I found this to be a very easy way to develop a common understanding and vision of profound integration of technology in the classroom. (Notice the title Getting IT Right IT = integration of technology.) One important take away is that as teachers we tend to always want to focus on achieving the highest level. Rather than viewing this tool as a hierarchy we were asked instead to view it as cyclical where the task may determine the level. However, if we find situations where repeated observation reveals only one level of integration, we can use the tool as a discussion starter.
I plan to add this to my toolkit that I take with me when I visit with teachers.

No comments:
Post a Comment