Celebrations*Challenges*Change*Coaching*Collaboration
I was excited to about spending the day with Francis and Vicky from Coaching for Results Global. These ladies facilitated our Leadership Coaching for High Performance earlier this year.
We started the day by focusing on our celebrations. This was an excellent way to start the day. It helped us to focus on the positive things that has occurred since we were together in August. We created posters listing the successes we have had. As we viewed the posters different groups made, we could identify trends and were able to celebrate numerous successes we have had as a district team.
Our focus then shifted to the challenges we have faced. Before we began, our facilitators framed the conversation by cautioning us "We don't want to let the challenges override the celebrations." In small groups we brainstormed some challenges we have faced as a group on index cards. The small groups then combined with other small groups to synthesize our data using an affinity diagram. This was an excellent way for us to identify root causes and draw out common themes. While we were unable to resolve all of the challenges we are facing, this was a positive experience that helped us realize we are all facing similar challenges and if we continue to collaborate as a whole group we can help support each other. The affinity diagram proved to be a useful tool that led to meaningful discourse. This is one tool I will want to add to my growing toolbox.
Change is a topic we are all immersed in on a daily basis. Our facilitators asked us to read an overview of the book Immunity to Change. This book is actually in my cue to read for a future book of the month challenge. After our discussions today, I will want to move it up a bit. I was intrigued by the unconscious ways we as humans resist change and mistakes leaders make in approaching change. Our reading left me with many questions and a desire to learn more.
After a quick review of the elements of coaching, we quickly moved into coaching traids with feedback from our colleagues. I was so appreciative of this time. I truly believe in the cognitive guided coaching process that has been shared with us. As I observe our facilitators collaborate with us as thinking partners, it is apparent that the coaching mindset must continually be revisited if it is to become a natural form of collaborating. I was reminded of an article that I read earlier in the year, Are You Coaching Heavy or Coaching Light? I need to be mindful of the power coaching conversations will have with the colleagues I learn alongside of.
As a wrap up to our day, we participated in collaborative groups using the Mastermind protocol. This proved to be very a highly productive time and we each definitely walked away with ideas/solutions/encouragement. The group I worked with has decided to continue to collaborate using this protocol on a regular basis.
As always, our colleagues at Coaching for Results provided a safe environment for us but continued to challenge us to move forward. My goals as result of my learning include the following:
Change is a topic we are all immersed in on a daily basis. Our facilitators asked us to read an overview of the book Immunity to Change. This book is actually in my cue to read for a future book of the month challenge. After our discussions today, I will want to move it up a bit. I was intrigued by the unconscious ways we as humans resist change and mistakes leaders make in approaching change. Our reading left me with many questions and a desire to learn more.
After a quick review of the elements of coaching, we quickly moved into coaching traids with feedback from our colleagues. I was so appreciative of this time. I truly believe in the cognitive guided coaching process that has been shared with us. As I observe our facilitators collaborate with us as thinking partners, it is apparent that the coaching mindset must continually be revisited if it is to become a natural form of collaborating. I was reminded of an article that I read earlier in the year, Are You Coaching Heavy or Coaching Light? I need to be mindful of the power coaching conversations will have with the colleagues I learn alongside of.
As a wrap up to our day, we participated in collaborative groups using the Mastermind protocol. This proved to be very a highly productive time and we each definitely walked away with ideas/solutions/encouragement. The group I worked with has decided to continue to collaborate using this protocol on a regular basis.
As always, our colleagues at Coaching for Results provided a safe environment for us but continued to challenge us to move forward. My goals as result of my learning include the following:
- Read the book Immunity to Change.
- Continue to collaborate with my Mastermind Group.
- Recommit myself to the coaching mindset and continue to practice my skills.
- Reflect on ways to to celebrate successes while facing challenges.
Lesa, I love your goals section here. We often hear that people who write their goals down are much more likely to follow through with them.
ReplyDelete