Monday, December 10, 2012

Social Media for Social Good


I recently read the book Social Media for Social Good.  It wasn't on my radar as a book to read, but my daughter recently completed a internship as a social media director for a nonprofit organization.  She had shared with me some of the ways they were using Twitter. I saw the book laying around, and one thing led to another.  The next thing I knew I had read the entire book.  

While the topic at first glance had nothing to do with education, I began seeing connections to how districts, schools, and teachers might use the power of social media to spotlight the amazing things going on our schools.  In today's world, social media can be a powerful way to help schools reach out into their community.  

I decided to try some of the suggestions in the book.  My district has recently embarked on a Strategic Design Process.  I took a different Core Belief each day for one week and tweet out articles, videos, and other tidbits of information all centered around the specific day's Core Belief statement.

The book indicated that "prime time" for tweets was between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.  Since I am at work during that time, I decided to utilize HootSuite and schedule out my tweets for the entire week.  I was surprised by not only how easy it was but also by the number of retweets and new followers I had at the end of my experiment week.  

This book ended up being an unexpected treasure of ideas that I will keep tucked away for future experimentation. 





P.S.  I do not endorse Hoot Suite nor do I receive any compensation for this recommendation.   It was just easy to use and the Owl is cute.  :)

This post is part of my Book A Month Challenge





No comments:

Post a Comment