Ctrl+Z is best known as the Windows keyboard shortcut for the undo command; however, I recently heard this terms attributed to our newest generation of learners. The students in our classroom are used to being able to undo their actions with the click of a keyboard. Don't like the outcome of your video game? No problem, just hit reset. Don't like what your friends are saying on Facebook? Unfriend them.
In an age where we can easily undo, unfollow, or unfriend, some say this current generation is constantly on the look out for quick fixes and as a result do not take responsibility. I do not I agree with this view of the digital generation. I think this gives them an edge that many of us from other generations are missing. The ctrl+Z generation students are risk takers--at least they are when they come to us. Sadly, many enter classrooms and hear that there is only one answer to a problem.
For so long our schools have been environments of compliance. The world is changing and our classrooms are as well. As we begin to look for ways to innovate our classrooms and schools to transform into learning organizations, we need to be willing to take risks and learn from our efforts.
Taking risks is something I am learning to be more comfortable with. It requires me to step out of my comfort zone and try things that I have never even dreamed of trying before. I have had to let go of my perfectionist tendencies and adopt a failure is a possibility mentality; however, I have adopted a new way of looking at failure. FAIL = first attempt in learning.
What are steps are you taking to innovate your classrooms, schools, or districts? How are you taking risks to acomplish your dreams?
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
— Robert F. Kennedy

I repeatedly tell my students, particularly when they are teasing others, that our classroom needs to be a safe place to fail because we learn more when we are wrong than when we are right. I'm sure they think I'm nuts, but I feel vindicated now!
ReplyDeleteHeather, it helps to know that others are struggling with this too. At times I feel I am the only one. :) Here is a link to a video that I have shared with students in the past to help us build a safe learning environment. Do you have other ideas for things that are working in your classroom?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yetHqWODp0