Reading aloud was the first thing we did as soon as the morning announcement ended. The students were always so quiet, wondering, I am sure, what the first day would bring. Many of them stared at me wide-eyed as I asked for their attention. I could almost see the butterflies fluttering in their stomachs. I loved saying "Good morning, I am so glad you are here! Can you come join me on the carpet? I would like to begin our year with a story."
Over the years, I shared many wonderful books on that first week of school--First Day Jitters, Oh the Places You'll Go, Chrysanthemum, The Dot, as well as many others. However, my favorite first book to read was The Big Orange Splot. To prepare, I cut out a large orange splot, like the one on the cover of the book, from orange butcher paper. This splot was the only thing that hung on the walls in our classroom when they arrived that first day--admittedly, I did get some raised eyebrows from parents.
![]() |
| The Big Orange Splot |
I learned about this book from a website I happened to stumble on years ago - Teaching Children Philosophy. It has many other wonderful book suggestions along with questions to help you facilitate deep conversations. Just a warning--not all of the topics presented are appropriate for elementary classrooms.
What is your favorite first read aloud? Share your ideas by commenting below. I would love to hear from you!

Hi Lesa, Congratulations on embarking on your blogging adventure! I'll be checking back frequently to glean from your wisdom and insights! Books to start the year...I've read all of the ones you mentioned above and toyed with a few others. Of course, I always read Miss Nelson is Missing to my kids (when I first started teaching, I had the same yellow hair that Miss Nelson in the book has...highlighting job gone seriously wrong!) one year in fifth grade, I read Wilma Unlimited and Sixteen Years in Sixteen Seconds. Love, love, love those stories! Other good ones are Patricia Polacco's Thank You Mr. Falker...I love that the grandpa makes the little girl taste the honey on the book! I am near tears every time I read that story. This year I'm reading Courage by Bernard Weber. It's short and the conversation afterwards will be about taking risks, setting goals, and working hard each day to be learners all year long.
ReplyDeleteJulie, I have never heard of the book Courage. Can't wait to check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.
ReplyDeleteI love to read the story "Who Wants Arthur" by Amanda Graham. It's a hilarious story about a dog who lives in a pet shop, and wants desperately to be chosen as someone's pet. He tries to be like all of the other animals in the pet shop in hopes that some person will want him. It turns out that he doesn't get chosen until he just acts like himself. We always have great conversations about why it's important to be yourself after reading. I think this year I'll have the kids draw a picture of themselves, and then write all of the reasons that they are awesome (a form of my traditional circle map).
ReplyDeleteLesa, this is a great start! I hope you enjoy adding to it as your educational adventures continue, and that it sparks many good discussions. Congrats!
ReplyDeleteLast year I read Hey, Little Ant to my 8th graders! It challenges students to talk about bullying!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your first 2 blog posts, Haney! I, too, thoroughly enjoy the first day of school! I like to end the first day by reading You Are Special by Max Lucado. Throughout the year, I often respond to hurt feelings with "Are you letting the dots & stars stick?" and it seems to make my kiddos smile. It is also the very last book I read to them on the last day of school.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to more posts from you!!
Congratulations on your foray into blogging! It looks like a successful launch, and I would love any tips hat you might have to share. Dr. Seuss' classics such as Oh, The Places You'll Go! and The Sneeches are crowd pleases for just about any age and respectively build anticipatory excitement and establish guidelines for a classroom community characterized by respect.
ReplyDelete- Tracy Berry-Lazo, Guatemala
Thanks for all the great book suggestions! Tracy, so many teachers read Oh, the Places You'll Go! at the end of the year. I found that reading it at the start of the year was a great way to segway into goal setting. I had a wonderful school counselor who gave me several hard copies of ideas. I don't have a digital file or link to suggest, but perhaps if you think about how to link it to what you already do in that area, it will spark an idea.
ReplyDeleteAs a former high school teacher, I was pleased to see "Oh, the Places We Will Go" on your reading list. I used it as an ending activity for my graduating seniors who had many fluttering butterflies in their stomachs as they exited high school. For some reason, this little book brought them reassurance and gave them confidence to move on. Isn't it amazing how some books can apply to many different reading audiences and ages!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your blog!
After serving my district as an instructional coach for the past three years, I have decided to return to the classroom. While I am definitely not returning to the classroom the same teacher as when I left, this is one tradition I just couldn't give up. I am excited to see what how the students design our learning environment this year!
ReplyDelete