Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Being a Connected Educator



For many of us, teaching can seem like a bit like being stranded on a deserted island. We are so busy with the day to day activities our classroom that we don't often reach out to our colleagues to collaborate.  It is important that we meet with our colleagues on our campus as well as teachers throughout our district.  However, it is also important that we take control of our own professional development and reach out beyond our campus and district to connect with other educators.  I love the DIY (do-it-yourself) approach I have been able to take to my professional learning.  I have been able to learn more about things that interest me, share ideas with like-minded professionals, participate in book studies, and become involved in educational discussions at levels I never would have been exposed to if I continued to confine myself to the four walls of my classroom.


Many years ago in the days before Skype, Twitter, and Facebook, when I was teaching second grade, I happened to stumple upon the Second Grade Teachers Club.  Back then it was a Yahoo group and I could hop online 24/7 to hear what teachers around the country and world were trying out in their classrooms.  It was great!  I could follow teachers who had similar interests.  I was able to post questions and get insights from other teachers who also taught second grade.  My students and I collaborated on projects with other classroom throughout the world.  During that time, I felt that I grew so much professionally.  I was able to try new ideas our in my classroom that I would never had even heard of.  For example, I learned about the Daily 5 on this site even before the book had been released. 

For the past two years, I have been enjoying building connections via Twitter.  I have been exposed to so many new ideas and ways of approaching education.  I have moved from an "egg head" (someone without a profile picture) who spent my time "lurking" (just reading, never tweeting) to a more active participant.  I even learned how to create this blog from my new found friends on Twitter--140 characters at a time.  I have grown immensely both professionally and personally through these new connections.  It is my goal this year to learn about more ways I can connect with others.


Why become connected?


...because when we learn, they learn. 

If you have been toying with the idea of becoming a connected educator, this is the perfect time to begin your journey.  The month of August is Connected Educator month.  For each of the thirty-one days in August, the internet will be inundated with free chats, webinars, forums, and a plethora of other content. You will be able to learn how to connect with others through a variety of online tools. 

Here are some links to help you get started:

Connected Educators main site to learn more about the event

Free starter kit to help you learn more about connecting with other educators.  You can work through it at your own pace. 

Cheat Sheet infographic  from EdTech to help you learn more about the terms that you may see as you begin to become more connected. 

How do you plan to become more connected with other educators this school year?

1 comment:

  1. It really is almost a big WHEW! when we start connecting and collaborating--it means that we have access to a "collective brain", and we don't have to have all the answers by ourselves! Great blogpost!

    ReplyDelete