Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Power of a PLN

Each summer, I set a professional learning goal for myself.  This summer, I would like to focus on collaborating with colleagues more using Google+.  Currently, my use of Google+ has been on a personal level, chatting with friends and hosting virtual family reunions through Google Hangout. 

Today, I reached out to my PLN via Twitter to get some ideas for how to get started.  


Within a few minutes, I began getting replies:






I also heard from a member of my PLN that also wants to learn more about using Google+




Interestingly, I had asked several people in my local PLN if they were using Google+ professionally and/or learning more about it.  No one I spoke to was using it nor were they ready to begin exploring at this time.  Several indicated that they would be interested in checking it out next year or at some point in the future.  I enjoy collaborating with my local PLN through a variety to projects; however, I also recognize the power of "just in time" learning and being able to explore topics of interest.  


Having a virtual PLN has become an important part of my professional development.  I am so grateful to be able to collaborate with like-minded educators who have expertise in areas I am interested in growing in.  


A very special thank you to Marisa Wren, Maggie Vonck, Chad Kafka, Tom Whitford, and the individuals behind @teachers_only for replying and pointing me in right direction to get started.  I truly appreciate you!



2 comments:

  1. A great blog Lesa and thanks for the mention! PLN is definitely the way forward! With online networking opportunities, we can build a community! Sharing is caring :)

    If you would like to post any articles in my staff room, send your links to staffroom925@gmail.com and I will post them for you!

    Thanks again and I look forward to following you.

    Have you read my most recent article ?

    Have your say in response to Gove!
    http://thestaffroom4teachers.blogspot.com/2013/04/teachershave-your-say-in-response-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesa,

    sorry I didn't give you more info. I was in the middle of another chat, but I had worked with Chad Kafka on other Google tools and I knew he could guide you. But now that I have some time I can tell you that I have just started playing with Google+ and using the Hangout feature. I have a pretty large community on Google+ that I have identified as "My PLN" which contains around 100+ people. These are folks that I will share posts with from my blog or other great posts or articles I find. I have used the Google Hangout feature quite a few times now, when collaborating on a blog post, talking about new curriculum, or when we began planning for #edcampMadWi. Its a very handy tool and I think you will find it easy to use. Good luck and enjoy!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete