This summer, one of my colleagues on Twitter Cathy Mere @CathyMere, invited me to participate in an online book study through #cyberPD. We are reading Who Owns the Learning by Alan November @gloabalearner. I had actually read the book last year, but am excited to reread it and have the opportunity to gain valuable insights from colleagues.
Below is a video blog entry I made for our first share over chapters 1 and 2. November does an excellent job embedding future ready skills into a vision for classrooms in which relevant and meaningful work engages students in profound learning.
In this book, November quotes Dr. Tony Wagner who states "The essential skill of the 21st century is knowing how to ask the most interesting questions." I decided to focus my first #cyberPD post by asking myself questions.
I created my entry using VideoScribe.
If you have difficulty viewing the embedded video, please visit YouTube.
As you reflect upon the practices in your school, what questions do you have? How are you currently supporting future readiness in your classrooms today?

Lesa,
ReplyDeleteWow! You really took the topic of this book to heart and did some digital creating of your own! I am so fascinated by your video and want to learn how to use this tool. You have me hooked and primed to learn. I think this same technique would work with students. You use the tool to share something you learn with them and they will be ready to try the tool themselves.
While I have been talking about your tool, I did enjoy your thoughts, too. Having the visual cues (lock for knowledge keeper and binoculars for knowledge seeker) really helped me stay focused on my thinking as I watched.
Thanks for sharing this.
Jill
Lesa,
ReplyDeleteI'll be back to view your video. I love that you did this! I'm actually planning a screencast of a new app I'm using to try to learn more about this technology. I think it has potential in our first grade classroom. I'm at the coffee shop right now for internet --- without headphones (rookie mistake).
I'm so glad you joined the conversation. I think we'll gain a lot from your voice as you reread and think deeply about this book.
Thanks for bringing the book to my attention. I think it will support some great discussions.
Cathy
Wow - I love your video. Such terrific questions to be thinking as we examine our classrooms.
ReplyDeleteLesa,
ReplyDeleteI thank you so much for being a part of our #cyberPD community! I was quite impressed with how you chose to reflect on the first portion of the book. Not only did I love HOW you shared your thoughts, I also appreciated WHAT you had to say. And, to be honest, you have pushed me to consider other ways in which I might be able to share my thoughts for our next two discussions. Isn't this exactly what we want to happen in our classrooms?
Thank you!
Laura
Beautifully done, and you've just shared another way to communicate findings from research! Two of my questions in & out of class is 'what works?', and 'what doesn't?'-evaluate often and make changes! Thanks for doing and showing off video scribe!
ReplyDeleteWow. Just...WOW.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Lesa.
ReplyDeleteMInd Blown. BAAA-LLOOWWWN.
This past winter while in #etmooc, I viewed a few video scribed videos, and I wanted to learn how to do this. Of course, at the time I was swamped with other courses, so pushed it to the back of my mind. Thank You for creating this awesome video and re-inspiring me!! Working with visuals is not a strength of mine, but I want to push through.
ReplyDeleteHaving completed the video, would you say that it is as effective in promoting a synthesis of the text as blogging?
Julie
Fingers crossed!
Lesa~
ReplyDeleteKudos to you! I pined your post as question I wan to ask myself daily! Your presentation took #cyberpd to a whole new level! Sign me up with the others here for you how to create this tutorial!
The question you asked "Are our schools set up for learning or are they set up for teaching/ " brings me back to Tony Keefer's post- this leadership really should be coming from the top down while it seems to be more a teacher push...
Lesa,
ReplyDeleteYou already know I loved your video and how it inspired me to try it. I am so excited to have this new learning shape my thinking. Both content and process are married in what you shared with us (which is ultra impressive and the ultimate goal in sythesizing learning). Thank you for setting the bar so high for expectations...you rock!
This is nothing short of genius. I think we way underestimate the importance of visuals in the learning process. Thank you for helping to open my brain wide this morning.
ReplyDeleteKimberley
First in Maine
Love this! Not only your questions to push our thinking about educating our students today, but for the creative way you shared it! I've got to try this out!
ReplyDelete