Project-based learning was included in the list of approaches in Goal 2.2 of our Strategic Design document.
Provide a variety of relevant experiences, including technological, kinesthetic, visual, “hands-on”, project-based learning, to engage students
I have been surprised at how much attention Project-based Learning has garnered among teachers, sometimes to the detriment of the other strategies listed above. Project-based learning now has its own acronym, PBL, one of the first signs that education has fully embraced it.
I first learned about Project-Based Learning two years ago through my PLN on Twitter. I visited the Buck Institute website (bie.org) and pre-ordered the PBL in the Elementary Classroom early last school year. I read it cover to cover and found the concept very interesting. An assistant principal and I tested one of the example units from the book with our technology club last year.
I decided I wanted to learn more about Project Based Learning and enrolled in the courses with PBL-U hosted by the Buck Institute. During the classes, I have gone through the development of a PBL unit from launching to showcasing the project.
I have to admit that I am jealous of teachers who get to try this out in their classrooms. I have collaborated with several teachers to create and implement project based learning units in their classrooms; however, it is quite different to be a part of the daily happenings in the classroom.
Below are the certificates of completion for each class I have taken this year.




No comments:
Post a Comment