My school has to keep up with me, not the other way around. -The Voice of the Active Learner.
When I walked the stage and collected my undergraduate diploma, I thought "I'll never have to read another book again." Seriously, that thought entered my mind. I mistakenly thought I had learned everything I needed to know in order to be an effective educator. I quickly learned that if I wanted to keep up, I needed to become a lifelong learner.
Reading educational related journals and books (yes, books do still exist) as well as attending district workshops and regional conferences have been a great ways for me to stay up with current trends in education. Another way I am striving to keep up is by becoming a connected educator. By plugging myself into the collective learning of educators across the world via Twitter, MOOCs, Google Hangout, following numerous blogs thanks to Google Reader, etc...I have grown so much more than I had ever dreamed.
The world around us is changing at lightning speed. It is easy to get overwhelmed. Setting aside time to checkout Twitter, reading a book, or viewing a webinar not only benefits me, but the teachers and students in my district. I know I still have much to learn, but I am no longer standing still.
How are you keeping up?

No comments:
Post a Comment