"If you don't have time to read, you sure the heck don't have time to lead" -Phil Schlechty Engaging Students.
Knowing the importance of being a lifelong learner, I understand that it vital that educators keep up with trends in education. I am currently enrolled in grad school and in a book club with a group of girlfriends so I am already reading a great deal.
However, I was inspired by a former professor who currently serves a campus principal. She brought her reading journals to class one day and commented that she challenges herself to stay current with trends in education through a wide reading and reflecting on what she reads in her journal. I was impressed by not only her reading but by the fact she pushes herself to reflect on each book in writing.
I decided challenge myself to read a professional development book a month during the 2012-2013 school year and to reflect on them through my blog. My promise to myself was to not count any books that I was required to read for my graduate studies. Below are a list of the book I have read along with links to my online reflections. I will keep the list updated during the year.
August
Strengths Based LeadershipVisible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
I decided to read two this month because I was asked to read the first one for by my district. Not sure this will happen every month, but I wanted to start off strong.
September
Disrupting ClassShifting the Monkey
October
Leading for Learning
I felt a bit like I was cheating this month because I was asked to read both of these books by my district. If you have ever read these books or others by Schlechty, you know how how much time it took to digest this information--so I am counting both. I am now a huge fan!
November
Okay, it seems like I am now onto a two (and possibly a three) book a month challenge. I don't want to commit to this though. You never know what might happen. If one month I don't meet my book a month challenge, I am going to hope that I might be "forgiven."
December
January
Switch
No comments:
Post a Comment